Star Manufacturing Conveyor Toaster Troubleshooting
Conveyor toasters are essential for any traditional or fast food restaurant. Star Manufacturing makes a wide variety of high-volume and compact toasters, toasting everything from bagels to bread quickly. Nothing shuts down the breakfast rush if it's not working properly. While these machines are renowned for their durability and quality, a few issues can pop up over time. But don't worry! We have some easy tips for troubleshooting Star Manufacturing conveyor toasters.
Not Heating & Conveyor Belt Not Moving
When there is no heat and the conveyor belt won't move, check for the following:
- Power cord unplugged – See if the unit is unplugged or the power cord is damaged. If the cord is damaged, have it replaced by an authorized technician.
- Controls or circuit breaker off – Make sure the controls are switched to the ON position. Also, check if the circuit breaker is on. Reset if the breaker is off.
If neither issue has helped, contact an authorized service technician to troubleshoot and repair.
Heat Only on One Side
If the conveyor moves freely but there is only heat on one side, this typically mean the heating element needs to be repaired or replaced. Contact an authorized service technician to resolve the issue.
Conveyor Belt Turns at One Speed
If the conveyor belt only turns at one speed despite the speed control settings, the speed control might have to be repaired or replaced. Contact an authorized service technician to fix the speed control.
Conveyor Belt is Stuck
When the unit heats up but the conveyor belt is stuck, look for mechanical binding following the procedure below:
- Step 1. Shut off unit – Turn off the conveyor and unplug it from the wall outlet.
- Step 2. Open bottom enclosure – Remove the holding screws on the bottom of the toaster. Set the toaster on its legs and remove all four screws on the back of the unit. Then, slide the enclosure off and remove the back panel.
- Step 3. Move the drive motor – Unfasten the four screws holding the drive motor. Once loosened, slide the motor upward. This lets you remove the drive chain from the unit's sprockets.
- Step 4. Check for binding – Check for mechanical binding by moving the conveyor belt by hand. If the belt moves freely, this could mean the drive motor or speed control need to be repaired or replaced. An authorized service technician will need to resolve this issue.
- Step 5. Close the enclosure – Slide the enclosure forward toward the front of the toaster. The enclosure's front edge will slide beneath the front of the unit.
If binding is present, contact an authorized technician to make any necessary repairs.
Product Sticking to Belt or Slide
Whenever product regularly sticks to the belt or slide, it usually means the food was being prepared incorrectly. Please do the following to prevent sticking:
- Toast food at room temperature – Never put in products that are frozen or straight out of the refrigerator.
- Do not add butter or alternative – Make sure whatever you toast doesn't have butter or a butter substitute on it.
When you accidentally toast frozen product or add butter or a substitute, it might come out overly moist or doughy and stick to the interior parts. If it does, make sure to follow the cleaning instruction in the operation manual.
Need more help troubleshooting a Star Holman conveyor toaster? Browse through our selection of Star Manufacturing manuals for additional tips and instructions.
Please contact a local authorized service agent who can help with this specific unit and all your commercial kitchen equipment needs.